not my story

last year yet, when the movie came out, my officemates have been urging me to watch the movie 'one more chance' starring bea alonzo and john lloyd cruz.  now i am not really a movie person.  in the last five years, i can count with my fingers the movies i've watched and, in the recent past, the only ones i actually felt like watching were 'madagascar' and 'charlie and the chocolate factory.'  both movies i wasn't able to watch though as, in spite of repeated pleadings, to the point of nagging even, ha-ha, the one i wanted to watch them with dismissed them as kiddie flicks.  (an aunt told me later i should just have watched them with someone else.  looking back now, yeah, maybe i should just have.)



last week, the same officemates asked me whether i watch tagalog movies.  i was taken aback by the question and replied, "bakit naman hindi?" (why would i not?).  they said they were going to lend me a video of 'one more chance.'  i chuckled, saying i didn't really have time to watch movies at this point.  (would you believe i haven't turned on the TV at my place since i got back from vacation?  that is close to a month now.  i do get to watch TV when i go to my parents' place though.)  they said i should squeeze it in as the movie really suits me and it sure will make me cry.  the statement made me laugh and, although i'm not really inclined to watch anything that will make me cry, the movie suddenly piqued my interest, ha-ha-ha.  i wondered what on earth these officemates, my daily lunchmates, were thinking about my life for them to make such a statement.



friday afternoon, just before going home from the office, one of them handed me a video of the movie (oops, is that redundant?)



the following day, my sister and i watched it.  (i was out late friday night so i slept over at my parents' place.)  hmmm, the movie did make me shed some tears, but not really because scenes hit home or something.  i am actually just the type who sheds tears hearing some sentimental song or reading some heartwarming story regardless of whether i could identify with the lyrics or the protagonists.  there is such a thing as empathy and i shed tears not necessarily for myself.



three things i remember from the movie:



1.  the three-month-rule, i.e., you're supposed to wait at least three months after a break-up before going into another relationship.  now this is the first time i ever heard of this.  i don't know whether this is an old idea or an original one from the movie.  i'll google this later, ha-ha...



2.  the guy, learning much later that the guy he assumed to be his girl's new man never really became his girl's guy, chided a common friend for not telling him and was met with the retort, "hindi ka naman nagtanong." (but you never asked.)  yup, assumptions can cost you and sometimes all we have to do is ask.



3.  "she loved me at my worst.  you had me at my best... and you chose to break my heart..."  ugh! sad : }



anyhow, let me clarify, hello, my dear officemates, this movie is not my story.  maybe you're hoping it will be but i'm thinking some other movie maybe... ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment