the bull

i was in front of the computer with my niece when the phone rang.  it was for me.



i gave brief instructions to my niece and she explained something back.



my caller notes, "english-speaking pala pamangkin mo..."



i go, "nope"



"how come she talked to you in english?"



"not always.  unless it's school, her usual medium of communication's tagalog."



i tell her that when they were young (my nephew and my niece), we talked to them in english.  when they started going out to play, however, it became tagalog-time as that was their playmates' language.



i have a funny memory, actually.  with us in the house is my mama in (mama linda).  she joined our household way back when i was still a baby (yup, more than four decades ago!).  she's visayan and her "o" sounds are not so smooth.



one time i overheard her shouting to my nephew, "get the bull!"



huh?!  ball!



so much for english... LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment