yes or no?

i was at an inter-agency meeting yesterday.  then, during a lull in the discussions, the presiding officer mentioned that our agency backed out of showing a foreign guest around.  i was taken aback, but kept quiet, amused at the statement.  and then what do you know, the co-chairperson pointed to me and said, 'you, it was you who backed out.'

huh?!  my amusement turned to embarrassment.  i said i did not back out explaining 'back out' is when you say 'yes' and then you change your mind.  i said mine was 'no' all along.

the presiding officer countered i reportedly said yes.

whoa!  we were meeting in their boardroom and we had a u-shaped table and all this was very well heard by those around the table.  this is an inter-agency meeting, attendees were not just from our office but from different companies : }  i really didn't want to talk about it but, to defend myself, ha-ha, i gave a brief of what happened.

i said i received a text message from my big boss asking whether i could show a friend of hers around and the friend was supposedly looking for a girlfriend and i just might like the guy.  i said i replied i could show him around but if he's looking for a girlfriend i'd rather not.

there were chuckles in the room.  end of inter-agency story.

now for the details:

my reply actually was:

Ooops... R u serious mam?
Pd k sana cya samahan para ipasyal
kya lng kng naghahanap ng gf
parang yaw k nmn.
Wa p po akong bf
pero my suitors p ako, haha.
Huwag n lng p mam ; )


(yup, i back up my phone messages to my computer.)

was i surprised therefore when following day my boss's secretary called me up about the arrangements for my supposed meeting with the foreign guest.  huh?!  i told the secretary i declined the night before.  the secretary got back to my boss and then came back to me saying my boss said i said yes.  she said my boss was going to provide a driver, etc.  huh???!!!  i reiterated i said no and forwarded to the secretary my reply to my boss the night before.  she confers with my boss and comes back to me saying it's ok, they'll just say i backed out.  yikes!

i showed the above text message to my officemates and asked them whether it meant i was going out with the guy or not.  every single one initially said i was not.  when i, however, asked them how come our boss was saying i said yes, every single one, ha-ha, dissected my text message and came up with the conclusion that it was a yes.  whoa!  it was a 'no' to me!!!

i kidded my officemates that's probably the reason my marriage failed  ->  i wasn't getting across  : }

No comments:

Post a Comment