modest clothing

at mass today, the priest talked about temptation. he said temptation is not a sin in itself. what is a sin is the act of tempting or succumbing to the temptation.

then he talked about modest attire, both for men and women. he said don't wear revealing outfits in church as you become a distraction to the other churchgoers. instead of focusing on the mass, they get their attention diverted to you. ooops. i wasn't sure whether i was dressed appropriately. i had on a sleeved close-to-the-body shirt (nothing skin-tight) paired with a loose mid-calf skirt.

i remember one time when one of those church-serving old ladies tried, not abrasively, in fairness, to prevent me from entering the church because i was wearing a sleeveless top. that time i was wearing a below-the-knee skirt and this sando top which actually did not expose the shoulders. the neckline did not show cleavage, but the arms, yes, were fully exposed. to me this was not revealing but, yup, maybe for church it was. i should have gone home to change but i was thinking i was already there so i tried to go in through another door. no one barred me so i got to hear mass in my original outfit. this taught me, however, never to go to mass with a sleeveless top again.

the priest's homily reminded me of my ex. one time, he wanted me to change into another outfit because he found my skirt's slit too high. (it was thigh high.) i did not and he wasn't too happy. he doesn't like outfits that show flesh or hug the figure saying you're encouraging others to sin when you wear such clothes. hmmm. consistent with the priest's homily that statement.

back in college, i was supposed to go to school in this denim pants and short white shirt and what do you know, my dad would not let me. i told him the shirt was long enough to reach to the pants waistline. he countered it was barely there and when i move, my midriff peeks. ugh! he stood in front of the car blocking it unless i changed. i told him i do not want to change. he said then he wouldn't let me leave. so be it. a while later, he left the house. i went back to the car and drove off. i even brought a camera and took a picture of me in that outfit. yikes! disobedient daughter : } (i'm sorry, vats... i do love you, you know that.)

then in graduate school, i had this suitor who, upon seeing me, pointed out to me that my shirt was unbuttoned. i was wearing one of those shirts with three, four buttons below the throat area. i nonchalantly told him i intentionally buttoned only one leaving the rest unbuttoned. he was discomfited, ha-ha-ha. hello! the neckline was not at all low. no cleavage was showing, c'mon.

just the other night i was talking with two guys about outfits and girlfriends. one said he's even the one who suggests to his wife to wear something less conservative. the other has told me before that he doesn't mind his girlfriend wearing something sexy provided he is around. hmmm... me, i am not really into revealing outfits when i go out with company but how come the guys in my life still find things to grumble about? is it really me or is it them having this exaggerated thing about modest dress and covering up?

an ex-boyfriend used to always put his hand between my knees whenever i sit and my office uniform skirt goes up above the knees. i'd try to brush him off saying people might wonder what his hand is doing down there. he wouldn't budge saying he's just making sure my undies don't show. ugh! is that paranoid, protective or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment