basketball injury

when he was younger, my brother used to have a basketball injury every year. his arm would be in a cast, his hand, his leg.  well, now there's another one, the most serious so far:  torn tendon of achilles.  he was operated on last saturday.   his surgeon was one of his cycling buddies whose specialization is really orthopedics.  at least we knew that he would be well taken care of.

day of the operation i visited him and was so heartbroken at the sight that greeted me.  a blanket covered a big part of his face and his eyes were closed.  he was unconscious, looking sooo weak and in so much pain.  i had my camera with me and i couldn't get myself to take a picture of him.  all i could do was take a picture of his cast-enclosed foot with his visitors in the background  : }

on his second day at the hospital, he was much better.  his face was a little swollen, but at least he could already talk.

day three, well, he could already pose, smiling, raising his leg and making a thumbs up for the camera.

therapy / rehabilitation is expected to last three to four months.  he won't be going to the office, he has to walk with crutches, he won't be able to drive, he won't be able to bike.  (a total lifestyle change:  he is such an outdoor guy and a really avid biker.)  i'm the one picking up and dropping off my sister until he is able to drive again.  five times this week i dined at my parents' place.  this will be going on while my sister is riding with me.  i'll be saving money and gaining weight  : }

No comments:

Post a Comment