defective user

<friend1> tells me she could not connect to her wifi from her laptop but is able to do so from her phone.

me:  'your phone is connecting to the same wifi to which your laptop could not connect?'

<friend1>:  'yes...'

me:  'the connection is not being blocked by firewalls or anything?'

<friend1>:  'i don't know...  i didn't change any settings [it used to be able to connect before]...  but there's a message that appears onscreen...'

me:  'what does it say?'

<friend1>:  'slow startup...'

me:  'oh, that's just the tuneup utility i installed...  anyway, i'll call <friend2>...'

uhm, i've long been abusing the kindness and expertise of <friend2> by turning to him for free tech support...  : }

so i relay the problem to <friend2>.

he asks the same question  ->  whether my friend's phone is connecting to the same wifi to which her laptop is supposed to connect.

i tell him my friend said yes.

<friend2>:  'is she sure?'

me:  'hmmm...  i don't know...'

<friend2>:  'the phone could be using her cellular provider's internet service...'

me:  'oh, no...  that would incur charges...  maybe not...  i dunno...  i hope not...'

he chuckles saying these are the harder ones to troubleshoot, when some devices work and some don't.  he says it's easier if all are not working.  anyway, he said he'll come over.

before he did, i went to my friend's house for some pre-repair check.  guess what, it's just a case of a wrongly plugged cable!

uh-oh...  we call this 'defective user'...  ; p

No comments:

Post a Comment