form over substance

i was buying cake yesterday and while the cashier was processing my payment, this young man beside me placed an order for one of the mini-cakes.

i cringed a bit when i heard his choice.  i've tried almost all the cakes there (the big versions, not just the mini) and what he ordered was far from their best.  it was ok but nothing special, at least to me.  (i've tried countless cakes.  i'm the family's cake girl.  i'm the one who buys our cakes, occasion or no-occasion.)

i tried to keep quiet but could not.  it was valentine's day.  i think he was going to give it to someone special.

i asked the guy:  'have you tried that cake before?'

the guy smiled:  'no...  first time...'

me:  'uhm...  i've tried almost all their cakes...  that one's just okay...  so is their <other cake>...  their <cake 1> is really good though...  and my sister-in-law and my niece both liked <cake 2> very much...'

the guy checked out the display...  then with an uneasy laugh he told me, 'i guess that'll do for now...  i'm after the dedication (Happy Valentine's Day)...  i'll just save the delish ones for birthdays...'

oh...  hehe...  ok...

maybe he's right...  for valentine's day, you don't really savor the cake, you savor the love...  <3 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment