just get it

friend mentioned that she's going to buy a cable as her charger has been malfunctioning.  i told her not to buy anymore as i have a spare i could give her.  that was a month or so ago.

now she tells me the cable works only for data transfer but not for charging.

me:  'oh?  you were able to charge when we tested it, right?'

friend:  'because we used your...  your...  what do you call that?  the one where you plug it...'

me:  'socket?'

friend:  'yes...  maybe it's mine that's defective...'

me:  'then try it on another one...'

friend:  'i have no more...'

me:  'huh?!  you don't have other sockets there?'

friend:  'i have only one...'

me:  'in your whole house you have only one power outlet?!  no.'

friend:  'not power outlet...    what do you call the one where you plug it?'

me:  'socket?  the one on the wall?'

friend:  'not the one on the wall...  the one you put before you plug it in the power outlet...'

me:  'adaptor?  did we use an adaptor when we tested it here?  does your charger have round prongs?'

friend:  'i'm not sure what you call it...  the big end...  you have the small end and then the bigger one and then there's still another bigger one where you plug it...  maybe that's the one that's defective...'

me:  'oh...  that one!  because i gave you just a cable, 'no?  but it could be that intermediate thing that's defective...'

friend:  'what do you call that?'

me:  'adaptor?  power cube?  wahaha...  i'm not sure...'

sometimes you don't have the word for it.  still you know what it is.

you don't always need words to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment