ripple effect

i was at the bank this afternoon.  i made an appointment through the web for 1:30 to 2:00 p.m.  normally, the queue numbers would just be displayed onscreen.  for some reason, however, this time they were displaying one set on the monitor for teller 1 and calling out another set for teller 2.

they've displayed and called out so many numbers already but mine was not among them.  i asked the lady beside me what time it was.  she said 2:00 p.m.  hmmm...  if it was already 2:00 p.m. and my appointment ends at 2:00, i don't think they'd still be calling my number.

i therefore went to the kiosk and made another appointment for 2:00 to 2:30 p.m.  ok.  i waited and waited and waited.  again, they were displaying and calling out queue numbers and again mine was not among them.  hmmm...  i was a developer and an administrator before.  i'm thinking if my appointment is between 2:00 and 2:30, the system would display that in the queue as soon as or not long after the system time hits the appointed time.

i asked one of the bank personnel whether their electronic appointment is not working.

she said it is.

i told her my number was not being called.

she said maybe it was but i wasn't around.

i said i've just been there all along pointing out that i made the appointment right at their very kiosk.

she asked for my number and went to the second teller.

a while later, the teller called out, 'electronic!'

no number.  just 'electronic.'

no one approached the counter so i did.  i asked whether she was referring to electronic appointment.

she said yes.

she asked for my account number.

me:  'didn't my appointment show up?  it's there...'

the teller said no.

me:  'if my queue number didn't show up, why did you call me?'

teller:  'because the girl (the bank personnel i asked earlier) told me...'

me:  'oh...  so the electronic queue numbers really don't appear in your queue?'

teller:  'it did not, ma'am...'

me:  'hmmm...  so something's not working in your system?  i made two appointments...  both of them didn't appear?'

teller:  'maybe it did at the other teller, ma'am...'

the other teller is the one whose queue numbers are displayed onscreen.

me:  'i didn't see them on the screen...'

teller:  'they're not here, ma'am...'

me:  'really?  hmmm...  where did my numbers go?  did you skip calling out any numbers?'

teller:  'no, ma'am...  maybe i just did not notice...'

hmmm...  twice?  all the other numbers were being called out sequentially.  either there is something wrong with the system or there is something not right with what the teller is saying.

and because of that, i was stranded in front of the bank for 45 minutes (!) after my transaction was processed (yes, i have my deposit slip and pictures outside the bank to prove it).  i was just supposed to proceed to the supermarket across the bank!  so near!!!  it rained that's why.  and i had to wait it out because i didn't have my umbrella (♩ ♪  ella, ella, eh, eh, eh  ♫ ♬  ; ) ).  the rain fell during my second appointment.  had i been called earlier, i would have been through while it was still dry...

\m/

No comments:

Post a Comment