if it's not broken, don't fix it

a month ago, i brought my car to a service center near my parents' place to have it checked.  no trouble actually.  it's just that i had a full load of passengers in the backseat one night and i heard a grating sound as if the bottom was scratching the ground.  this happened several times, i was afraid a hole might have been borne or something  : }

well, they raised the car, checked it (i looked as well), no scratches whatsoever.  what could that have been?

they checked under the hood.  everything seemed ok.

they test drove the car.  nothing.

i told them to fill the car and asked to ride with them.  three guys in the back seat, i on the passenger seat in front, another guy on the wheel.  we test drove again, over humps and around curves, sudden acceleration and quick stops.  still nothing.  they were kidding we were not heavy enough.  they said we should load a truck inside.  yeah, funny...

anyway, they checked the shocks.  they said the shocks are good.

they were telling me maybe my car is just not used to having passengers.  hmmm... true.  but then where did that sound come from?  how come there were no scratches?

i was already at the shop anyway, i asked them to check everything and replace whatever needs to be replaced.

they again checked under the hood.  they asked me when i last had my timing belt replaced.  i said i really don't know.  they replaced the timing belt and switched the tires.

a few days later, i started hearing a faint, high-pitched sound from the hood.  i'll be parking in my garage, i'd get off to open the gate and i'd hear it.  this does not happen all the time but it has happened several times.  i have not heard that sound before.

so today i brought the car to the shop again.  i told them my brother was saying it could be the fan belt.  they checked.  they said the fan belt is not aligned.  i go, 'weren't you the ones who fixed the car before?  no one else has touched it since.'

i don't go around tinkering with the car.  all i do is gas up and bring it to the car wash.  whenever i gas up, i request the attendant to check the oil, the power steering fluid, the brake fluid, etc.  i don't think he goes around tinkering with the fan belt.

anyway, the shop fixed the fan belt then turned over the car to me.  i drove off.  guess what, just a block away and i started hearing this loud, piercing sound.  whoa!  that was definitely waaaay beyond the faint, high-pitched sound that brought me to the car shop again.  i drove back.

this time, they said the belt is too loose.

eh?!  you're the one who just fixed it.  how come it is now worse?!  fix it well.  this is supposed to be a reputable car shop here. 

they fixed it again then told me if i hear a sound again then maybe it's the water pump.  oh, yeah?!  i don't want to wait to hear another sound before i replace the water pump.  i told them to replace it as a pre-emptive measure.

now the car seems ok again.  i hope nothing unusual crops up.  otherwise, i'm going someplace else.

my dad was telling me it's about time i replace my car.  i told him i'm actually saving up for a new one next year.  i was planning to get it on installment through bank financing.  guess what, he offered me a loan so i could buy in cash.  wiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeee!!!  : D

he told me to just tell him anytime.  gee, thanks.

actually, i prefer the year 2012.  dunno.  i just like the number.  my officemates, however, have been badgering me to buy a new one asap, i don't know why.  hmmm... hmmm... hmmm... two of them are waiting to snap up my vehicle the moment i put it up for sale.  aha!  so that's why?

well, they'll have to wait some more.  i'm really still happy with my car.  to me it's still ok.  i'm not really a car person.  as long as it's running then i'm fine with it, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment