efficiency


there is this supplier i met just recently.  i actually almost cancelled my trip to their office because i got caught in awful traffic going there.  in fact, i already called my contact telling him i was going to turn back at the next slot.  the guy, however, persuaded me to proceed saying i was already near, traffic will ease up in a couple of blocks, they'll wait for me (it was close to end of office hours for them).

well, good thing i listened.  the vehicles did pick up speed not long after.

i arrived at their office all whiny, tired and feeling harassed and the guy oh so kindly and accommodatingly listened to and attended to my concerns.  he gave me his business card but unlike my usual wont which is to read it, that time i simply slipped the card in my bag and continued checking out what it was they were trying to show me.

after that first meeting, i'd go on texting the guy for my requests and he'd always so kindly respond to them.

well, this afternoon 'twas the supplier who texted me asking for some info.  i said i'll e-mail.  i therefore took out his card from my laptop bag and, guess what, it turns out the guy has a pretty high rank in the company!  yikes!  my concerns were so petty and i've been bothering him!

i texted him my discovery and embarrassment and he replied saying titles are just a name and he still is a salesman after all.

well, i told him the higher you are, the bigger your responsibilies so he better just assign me to someone else, someone with responsibilities more proportionate to my small-time concerns.

it's not about being snooty.  it's not about being picky.  it's about efficiency and an optimal mix.  you should apply just the right amount of resources to produce a certain outcome.  as my economics professor told our class before, you don't use a diamond bit to pry open a peanut.

No comments:

Post a Comment