typhoon ondoy

there was non-stop rain friday to saturday.  now i don't really watch TV (i've turned my TV on only three to four times so far this year) nor listen to the radio.  i thought it was just one of those heavy rains.

saturday noon i requested an officemate to have pizza delivered at my place.  (i don't have a landline.)  after calling the delivery hotline, she told me all deliveries are cancelled because the streets are flooded.  huh?!  really?!  hmmmm...

now pizza hut is actually so near my place, i said i'll just drive over.  i hopped in the car but, leaving the village, the guard warned me not to go out unless really necessary as i could get stuck in traffic since the surrounding thoroughfares are flooded.  what?!  gee, this must be some serious rainshowers we're having.  i decided therefore to just pick up some bread and cheese at the 24-hour convenience store just across the village entrance.

then afternoon my friend called.  she told me floodwater in their house (!) was waist-deep.  huh?!  first time ever it happened in the years that they've been living there.  they were currently at the second floor and from the terrace she could see cars and dogs wet, soaked and floating in the waters.

i called another friend and he said at their place flood was chest-deep.  whoa!  good thing he lived on the third floor.

i was sooo thankful my parents' place and mine don't really get flooded.  (well, ok, my bedroom does ->  june 25, 2009 blog.)

earlier in the day, i've been posting trivial status updates to facebook just through my phone.  i don't really explore around when i'm doing mobile internet.  then my phone batteries went empty.  i have two phones, both of them, battery empty  : }  i forgot my chargers in one of the bags i left at the office when i changed bags last thursday.  ( i now have five bags (black, beige, white, denim, fatigue) on the counter behind my desk.  i change my bag and just leave the previous on the countertop  : } )

nighttime therefore i went online using my laptop instead of just my phone.  guess what, i was shocked at the posts i saw  ->  floodwaters so deep, stretches of roads submerged.  yikes!  we're talking serious calamity here, damage not just to property but to life.  i really pray that everyone will be able to survive this one well.  this, too, shall pass.  God bless us all...

No comments:

Post a Comment