mental block

i delivered something from a visiting batchmate to another batchmate this afternoon.  i haven't really been to the intended recipient's place so i stopped a few times to ask for directions.  frustrating.  people either do not know the street or would simply say, "it's over there."

i'd go, "how many blocks from here?"

they couldn't say.

i'd ask, "is it already near or still far?"

the one i asked earlier said it's already near.  the one i asked later said it's still far.

then hear this.  in one of my stops, i roll down my window and shout out to this guy asking where the street i was trying to locate was.  he crosses the street to approach me, starts to speak, then stops mid-sentence.  there was silence.  suddenly, he chuckles and goes, "naku, na-blangko ako!"  (ooops... i went blank!)

eh?!  we both laugh.  i thank him anyway then drive onward.

at the next stop, the people tell me that i've overshot my destination and i have to make a u-turn.

i turn back and ask one other guy along the way.  goody-good!  this one was able to give me concrete directions:  "go straight, not counting that corner, drive two blocks then turn right."  ok.

driving onward, i see this guy waving me to a stop.  i roll down my window and he tells me where the street i was looking for was.  oh!  so he is the guy who went blank earlier.  he recognized my car and has regained his memory, hahaha.  the street was already so near, imagine!

oh, well.  i was finally able to make the delivery.

one down, two to go.  second delivery is tentatively scheduled next week.  i've been to that place once, a long time ago.  i don't remember anymore.  this time, i'll download a map.

No comments:

Post a Comment