getting it right

handed someone a tape measure asking her to measure this thing's height and its circumference.  i wasn't sure whether she knew what circumference was so i repeated it making a circular motion with my hand.

she comes back to me saying both are 10".

really?  hmmm...

i quickly went back to my mom who relayed the information to a cousin over the phone.

but then i felt really uneasy thinking a circumference of 10" seems too small for what i saw.

i told my mom not to hang up yet as i'll have to confirm something.

i went back to the one who measured and asked whether the circumference was really also 10".  i told her circumference was the size of the circle, again making a circular motion with my hand.

reply:  'oh...  10" is the width.  also the height.'

ooops...  was that thing a square dimension-wise?  it looked to me more like rectangular in proportion.

i had it measured again with me watching.

height, 9".
circumference, 19.5".

delegation is good but sometimes supervision is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment