ensure

my mom changed her number in 2013.  before and on the day she did, i sent text messages to those in her contacts list informing them of the new number.  in the same message, i had a request for them to delete the old one.

weeks, months, years (!) after the change, there are still those who repeatedly call her at her old number.  i know because i forwarded calls to the old number to mine.

a few years back, my mom was wondering why my friend was not replying to her text messages.

i told her my friend changed her number and gave her the new one.

later she made an observation that she receives replies from my friend only when she replies to my friend's message.  when my mom is the one who initiates messaging, however, she says she does not receive a reply.

me:  'oh, that usually happens when you have the wrong number in your contacts list.'

mom insists she has the correct number.

i tell her to double-check.

she tells me she has it right.

okay.  could be a signal problem or technical glitch then.  it will go away.

still her observation persisted.  she says my friend responds only when she replies to her message but not when she composes a new message for her.

i tell her if it's consistent then she most likely has the wrong number in her contacts list.  if it's intermittent then it must be some temporary carrier or coverage issue.

i tell her to check the number in her contacts list and compare to the number my friend uses to text her.  they should be the same.

she tells me they are.

really?  hmmm...

one time when she again complained, i checked the number in her contacts list myself.  aaarrrggghhhhh!!!  she had my friend's number from two years back!  two years!!!

me:  'how do you know it's <my friend> texting if her name does not show?'

mom:  'i can tell from the message...'

me:  'weren't you wondering why sometimes her name is displayed and other times it's not?'

mom:  'i didn't notice...'

<breathe in>

<breathe out>

sometimes you shouldn't be content with hearing...  you have to see for yourself...

No comments:

Post a Comment