nagai aida

at a mcdonald's past midnight a couple of months back, someone sang to me in japanese.

now, there was a time when i understood basic, just the most basic, japanese.  i took japanese lessons in college, just hiragana and katakana, but that was sooooo long ago not a trace of the knowledge remained...  ooops, yup, there is:  neko and kirei and oishi and arigato gozaimasu.

anyway, so we were in the middle of a bittersweet conversation when this guy sang to me lines in japanese interspersed with their english translation.  i must say i did not really appreciate the message that time.

then a couple of days ago, the guy again offered to sing to me, this time over the phone.  my immediate reaction was to say i may not understand his song again.  we talked, talked, talked and singing was forgotten somehow.  he did manage to tell me to check out his mcdonald's song on the web, giving me the title nagai aida.

well, today i searched the song, checked out its translation and felt a pain in my heart.  the opening lines hit home.  there's a part though that's not quite applicable  ->  the guy did say, 'i love you.'

i didn't understand it then.  i understand it now.  but i guess it is too late...

</3

No comments:

Post a Comment