some other cynthia

i was attending a seminar outside office this morning when i received a text message informing me that my mom was at my office.  really?!  why would she be there?  i called and asked to talk to her.

ooops, the voice was not at all like that of my mom's.  i thought maybe it was my mama in (mama linda, the one who took care of me when i was still a baby -> taking care of me up to now, actually.  thanks, mama in : )).  nope, not mama in.  hmmm...

baffled, i said, "si cynthia po ito.  nandiyan daw po ang nanay ko?"

the woman on the other end suddenly moved the phone farther and i heard, "cynthia (some other surname)"

ooops, she was looking for the cynthia whose office is just right beside mine  : }

years back, i had a similar experience.  someone called the office looking for cynthia.  my officemate gave the phone to me.  it was a guy.  we've been on the phone quite a while and still i couldn't understand any of the things he was saying.

puzzled, i asked, 'are you sure we've talked before?'

he said, 'yes.  at (i can't recall the place anymore)'

i was like, 'huh?!  i've never been there!'

he goes, 'you are cynthia, right?'

i reply, 'yes.  cynthia (my surname)'

from the other end, 'ay, (some other surname)'

no wonder i couldn't recall any of the things he was saying we talked about.  for a while there i thought i've grown frighteningly forgetful  : }

during one of our provincial deployments, i received a call from our technical personnel.  he needed a decision on something.  i asked to talk to the chief of a particular section and she greeted me with a very warm and enthusiastic, "aay, ma'am cynthia!!! : )"

hmmm, it was our first time to talk.  i thought maybe they're just really friendly and accommodating in the provinces.  somewhere in the conversation, i requested her to please pass the phone to whoever was in charge of a certain task.  she called out to someone and, to my surprise, i heard her say, "kausapin ka raw ni ma'am cynthia (not my surname)"

ooops, i did introduce myself complete with surname and office.  ' turns out it did not register  : }

No comments:

Post a Comment