cashless

i was at enchanted kingdom saturday and i went via the south luzon expressway.  there were tolls!



it reminded me of my uh-oh experience going to pansol a year back.  so our clan had a thanksgiving get-together there and i was on my way when suddenly toll gates appeared on the horizon.  yikes! i am not used to these.  pass through i did and all the while i was wondering how much i would have to pay upon exit.  i was concerned i wouldn't have enough money for the fee, ha-ha



you see, i don't usually bring money.  for years, unmindful of inflation, the only cash i've been putting in my wallet has been two hundred pesos max.  i almost always have my ATM and credit cards with me anyway and the things i buy i usually can pay for using a credit card.  toll fees, unfortunately, do not fall under that category.



at the exit, i remember paying ninety-eight pesos.  back and forth that would be one hundred ninety six.  barely within my baon, whew!



through the years, this practice has put me in iffy situations only twice.  (a pretty encouraging average, i must say.)  pansol was second; the first was years back.  i was walking around when i passed by a pizza hut kiosk.  i'd like to bring home a box, i thought.  suddenly it occurred to me that i didn't have enough cash to buy a whole pizza.  this was just a kiosk, not a regular restaurant.  they didn't accept credit cards.  uh-oh.  i was amused thinking i was in such a pitiful situation, ha-ha



now, bringing only a little cash is actually only part of my story.  sometimes, i don't even bring money at all  :}



i actually have a vivid memory of my mom telling me years back not to go around without my wallet.  i have yet to heed her :}



last year when i renewed my passport, i passed by my friend's office before going home.  she invited me to lunch.



i said i can't.



she asked why.



i said i didn't have my wallet.



she goes, "what is that?" pointing to the pouch in my hand.



i said, "it's my camera."



she goes, "you have your camera but not your wallet???"



i reply, "my wallet's in the car.  the camera i brought because it might get too hot in the car."



she chuckles and tells me lunch is on her.  not at all part of my plan, i assure you...

No comments:

Post a Comment