it's complicated

so i was trying to deposit a crossed check issued under my maiden name to my bank account that already has my married name.

i had three government-issued IDs showing my complete name:  my first names, my maiden surname, my married surname.

i first went to this bank branch but they told me if i want to deposit it there, i would have to have the check replaced with one showing my married name.  if it's under my maiden name, i would have to go to my branch of account.

just go to my branch of account i did.

guess what, first i was told i would have to submit NSO documents, i.e., my birth certificate plus my marriage contract.

later that was changed to i would have to fill out this form and have it notarized.  the form was an affidavit stating that i am also known by this other name, which actually is my birth/maiden name.
the standard form actually scared me a bit because it said,
"I have applied for the financing services of <bank>..."

i told the manager it sounds as if i had taken out or will be taking out a loan.  i am simply depositing a check.
he said the financing services there refers to my depositing of the check.
really?  whoa!
oh, well, fill out the form i did then i had it notarized.

only after that was i able to deposit the check.

i never thought using your birth name after getting married would be so complicated...  : }

No comments:

Post a Comment